Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Telling Logan

“I’m divorcing Ben,” my voice cracks on the word divorcing. I side-eye Logan and watch the shock flicker across his face. After a moment of stunned silence he turns to me and says, “Oh my God. What happened?” I try to un-hunch my shoulders and glanced at my white knuckles on the steering wheel. I had offered to drive hoping it would keep my tears in check, but my vision was beginning to blur. 

I take a deep breath and smile to release the weight expanding in my chest. “It turns out, Ben is a woman trapped in a man’s body.” I’m still smiling, my cheeks hurt and my jaw is clenched, but my contorted grin does the trick and my almost tears ebb away. Logan’s warm hand finds its way to my shoulder as he says, “I’m so sorry Penelope, you don’t deserve this. How did you find out?” I brace myself as embarrassment washes over me, “He told me at the end of June. My knee jerk reaction was that I loved him for the person he was, and that we could make this work. Honestly I knew he was a cross dresser before we married, but I did my research. There are tons of happy couples where the husband dresses and is straight. It can be common in men who were molested as a child, Ben was. I had asked him if he felt like a woman before we married. He always said no.” I flick my turn signal on, and wait for the light to change. I know I’m rambling, but I’ve been holding this in for some time now. Logan squeezes my shoulder, silently encouraging me to go on.

“I really thought I could make it work. Then last week I was watching our wedding video with my mom and my cousin, Ali. As I come down the aisle Ben started crying, really, really hard. I remember thinking how sweet it was, and laughing at how cute he looked on that day, but watching the video was different. All I could think was, “Is he crying because he is trapped in this life he doesn’t want, but feels obligated to because of society and his parents?” Then I realized that it wasn’t working. I was just pretending this huge thing didn’t exist. That’s not acceptance, that’s not okay.”

We pull into the parking lot of Dunkin Donut’s and I slide into a space. Logan releases my shoulder and rubs the back of his neck. He looks at me and says, “Wow. I just really don’t know what to say other than I’m so sorry.” I look down at my fingers for a moment and he says, “What? What is it?” I’m always surprised he can read me so well. Keeping my eyes down I say, “There’s more.” I pick at my cuticle and work around the lump in my throat. “In January, Ben and his friend Jake when to Yuki, you know that bar around the corner from our apartment. I had stopped by there after work to join them for a drink or two, but I left early because it was a school night. Ben and Jake came back late and brought two gay guys with them. I had met them earlier at the bar, and didn’t think anything of it. Ben was really drunk, like slurring his words, stumbling drunk. You know it’s hard to understand him with his Scottish accent, but even I couldn’t make out what he was saying. I walked in on him getting a blow job from one of the guys in the bathroom.” I swipe at my eyes to catch any tears that may be forming. 

After a moment, Logan says, “Look at me.” I tilt my face upward towards his firm gaze, and for a moment I let his eyes take me to the beaches in North Carolina where we used to take family trips. His eyes are steady, but their color reminds me of the ocean currents, drifting between a murky brown and sea green. 


“I am so sorry you’re going through this. I’m shocked, but I completely understand why you want a divorce. I think you’re so strong, and I know I already said this but you deserve so much better. Just know, I’m here for you.” I give him a lopsided smile and say, “Thanks. Other than my mom you’re the first friend I’ve told. I’m just really trying to stay positive. I have to keep reminding myself it could be worse. It could be ten years down the road with kids, or it could’ve been a really happy marriage and he could’ve died. Honestly, his drinking was becoming an issue. There were several times this past year where if we were just dating I would have broken up with him. But I took vows.” Blinking rapidly I will my tears away, “Let’s not talk about it anymore today, I just want to enjoy our hike.” He nods as he says, “Say no more.” We head inside to place our order. With our iced coffee in hand we get back in the car, silent as we wind through the Connecticut countryside; heading towards my favorite hiking spot.

26 comments:

  1. Great first post! Good luck :) Feel free to plug on my blog (I'm not blogging as much, so people could definitely use another read!)

    http://www.cranberryvodka9.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, and just saw that you already did plug :-p (I saw your comment on Reese's blog) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Haha, I have been plugging away, but thank you so much for reading! No pressure, I know what it's like to be busy, but we will all be patiently waiting for you to continue!

      Delete
  2. I really like your first post and will be checking regularly! I am one of Caroline's readers and would love more blogs to read while she is away. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have scheduled another post for Friday at 10:00 am. I know it's tough, I feel like a lot of blogs are shutting down. Here's all the one's I read.

      Life By Aleah
      Lily's Playlist
      New Beginnings New Adventures
      Thea: A mile High Adventure (I just started this one, there are a couple months of regular posting, but it looks like the author may have just started a hiatus. Still a lot to catch up on, and it's a great blog)
      California Soul Blog (She also has His Name is Jake Sainders, and Samson and Delilah as links to her two other blogs there)
      Modern Day Faith
      Hot Mess in High Heels
      Sheer Luck and Pixie Dust

      I think that's it. Most blogs have a side bar of blogs they keep up with. That's how I found all of mine, or like you did (lol) sometimes I read in the comment section to find a new one. Hmmm, maybe I'll try to figure out how to put a lost of other blogs on here.

      Delete
    2. Oh, let me now if you need any of those links!

      Delete
    3. Thank you sooo much for the suggestions! I will be googling and reading as soon as I get out of classes for the day! All of my favorite authors are so busy, and I totally respect their lives, but I miss their updates!

      Delete
    4. Lifeofordinaryleah.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Wow! What an awesome first post! Definitely a different story from the one's out there already. Looking forward to becoming a regular reader! As well, feel free to shamelessly plug on each and every one of my upcoming posts!!

    Sheerluckandpixiedust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Honestly, this blog is based heavily off of my life (I keep joking to my friends it should be a movie or a sitcom, but a blog is close right) Haha, and thanks I will definitely plug on your blog! I just love Izzi and Ryan's story by the way! Never ever separate them! :)

      Delete
  4. Hey, P! I saw your shout out on Modern Day Faith (who I LOVE) and high-tailed it on over here. Thanks for the invite. I must tell you, you had me at "karaoke junkie by night"! I'm excited to see where your blog will take us. I will definitely add you to my favorites list! mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mum! So happy to hear that! Haha, I love person who can appreciate a karaoke enthusiast! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great first story! Can't wait to read more :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Next post is scheduled for Friday (tomorrow) at 10:00 am!

      Delete
  7. Loving this so far! I will definitely add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for plugging! My blog feed is dwindling and I'm glad to have a new blog to add.

    Interesting start. Very intrigued by the relationship with Logan. Can't wait to learn more about the characters, their stories, and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited you decided to check it out. Without giving too much away something interesting/funny happened the other night that involved your blog so you'll get a shout out in a future post, but not for a little while. :)

      Delete
    2. Can you please tell us what other blogs you read?

      Delete
  9. I love this! Looking forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! Check back Friday morning!

      Delete
  10. I like it!!! Can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I'm getting caught up now!

    www.vodkamademedoit.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete